When our dog Honey begin to have difficulties getting off the floor and walking, I felt compelled to find a homemade, nutritional alternative to mass-processed commercially bagged and canned dog food.
After only two to three weeks, the results were evident. After a couple months, her debilitating symptoms are gone! This recipe has truly been a life-saver and I cannot recommend it enough to maintain/improve the health of your ‘best friend(s)’.
Once you’ve made your batch, portion into storage bags and freeze (this recipe should make 21+ servings). When ready to serve, microwave for 15-20 seconds and place the next day’s frozen portion into the fridge to thaw overnight.
*NOTE: If you have a larger dog, you can supplement with a vet-recommended dry dog food.
- 3 pounds of ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 pound bag of brown rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 pound of washed spinach
- 1 bag of frozen peas/carrots
- In a large pot, brown turkey (since turkey is lean, we do not drain after browning).
- Add brown rice and 3 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes (we use a setting of 3 for about 30 minutes).
- Dice or mince the zucchini and spinach (a food processor is ideal).
- Stir in frozen peas/carrots and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the zucchini/spinach mixture, and allow time to cool.
- Portion 1 cup into each freezer bag and store!
*PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR PET’S VETERINARIAN AND USE PERSONAL JUDGMENT WHEN APPLYING THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR OWN DOG’S DIET.
Let us know your results in the comments below!